[Land-speed] 316 stainless steel boat hardware

23weldon 23.weldon at comcast.net
Wed Sep 9 10:35:53 MDT 2009

Check out www.marinepartdepot.com
I ran into this outfit a while back.  They sell polished 316 stainless steel
deck hardware for boats at really great prices. Obviously most is for boats
only; but some of the items have applications for our stuff that spends a
lot of time at Bonneville  I'm thinking more of support vehicles than the
race cars although there may be a few uses there.
How about a 1/4 x 1-1/2 stainless quick release pin for $1.99?
http://www.marinepartdepot.com/newststqurep.html.
Or a 316  4" carabiner (700 lb safe working load) ($4.78) for your tow
strap?  http://www.marinepartdepot.com/new316ststca.html
Best I can figure is that this guy has lined up some foundry in Asia that
investment casts this stuff for him at real low wholesale prices.  I've
ordered some items from him for my boat as well as a couple of flush pull
rings to mount in my pickup tailgate for tiedowns and they look like good
stuff.
316 stainless steel is a lot better for corrosion resistance to salt water
than the common 18-8 stainless.  It's also stronger and a bit of a bear to
machine unless you have pretty high quality cutting tools and plenty of
power behind them.
I'm placing a small order with him today (Sept 9) because it is the last day
of his free shipping deal.
Ed Weldon