[Land-speed] Sunbeam Alignment Stuff

drmayf drmayf at mayfco.com
Sun May 31 16:41:32 MDT 2009

Ok, so today I put the car down on its feet and decided to do some
tinkering regarding alignment parameters. I first built a couple of
tools to make it easier for me to measure camber and toe angles.   When
I measured the camber I found that the drivers side was at 1 degree
negative (leans in toward the motor) while the passenger side is neutral
at 0 degrees.  I can adjust the the camber reasonably easy to make it
pretty much what is required. But there is the rub. This is a completely
custom chassis.  So given that the wheel base on this puppy is really
short at 90 inches, what the consensus for a good toe measurement? I am
running a 24 inch diameter front runner. Is there a relationship between
wheelbase, track width, tire diameter and toe measurements? Is the old
standard of  about  1/8 toe appropriate for a short narrow car?  The
Sunbeam Tiger toe is supposed to be 1/8 inch.  Does speed affect the toe
requirements?

Also, what should camber be? I tend to like some negative camber
(leaning in towards the motor)  although not much. I wouldn't mind 3
degrees negative camber but, again, what is a fair number?

Here lately some of us  locals have been chatting about scrub radius.
Scrub radius is the distance from the Suspension angle (ie the angle
made by a line drawwn through the upper and lower ball joints when
viewed from the front) where an imaginary line intersects the road
surface and the centerline of the tire tread.  While I have not
generally measured many of these, I suspect that most cars have
somewhere in the 2 to 3 inch range of radius. That would mean the the
forces developed by the tire at the center of the tread would act on a 3
inch radius making  torque trying to move the tire into a turning
movement, left on the drivers side, right on the passenger side.  When
going dead straight those two forces cancel out. When making a turn, say
left then things can go strange. In cars like mine with lots of caster a
turn left is trying to lift the drivers sideof the car adding more load
to that tire while on the other side it is trying to raise the tire
lessining the load. Since the left wheel has more load then the force
balance is upset and that would seem to make it seem like it has power
steering. Easier to turn.  Maybe too much so, lol.  But with very small
corrective turns on the course to keep it between the lines, I suspect
that the effect is neglible. And yet, the faster you go the more it
probably seems it is moving. A small twitch must seem like a monstrous
movement at 300 plus mph.

Again, what is considered a good suspension angle as well as an
acceptable scrub radius? Any rationale floating around out there?

Any discussion on any of these items?