[Land-speed] Fwd: Jesse James "record" at El Mirage

Rich Fox v4gmr at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 24 09:03:22 MDT 2009

I am still trying to bring KT around on this....It is my contention that
records are meaningless unless we have a standard to compare them to. Which
has been the two runs, measured mile, average speed deal that we all have run
under. Keith and Jesse are proposing doing away with this as a standard method
of defining record performance. OK lets do that. And you know what? while we
are at it I would like to bypass the old standard of 5280 feet per mile. Who
really cares how many feet there are in a mile? Not the TV viewing public, so
I am going to run with a 5000 foot mile. And why use exit speed? If we are not
going to use average speed,  exit speed isn't necessary either. Lets go by
radar or GPS. I know the car was running at least 20 mph faster (5000 ft.
miles) just before it nosed over. at the 3026 ft. mark. Lets use that speed.
When we deviate from established standards because it is easier that way we
make records meaning less. That's what I
 think.  RF