[Land-speed] [BULK] Re: Towing a race car

Bryan Savage b.a.savage at wildblue.net
Mon Jun 8 11:21:15 MDT 2009

Joe,

Stepping back to auto transmission preservation...

98% of the heat is generated by the torque converter when it is
torque multiplying/converting.
The stock old TH-400, C-6 and A-727 quit converting and became a
simple fluid coupling at 2600 to 3200 rpm. In that mode they generate
about 5% of the heat generated in converting mode.

I used my 1965 Dodge PU,  318CID & A-727 *without* a trans cooler for
almost 40 years pulling numerous heavy trailers in So. Cal. summer heat.
When loaded, I always shifted manually to keep the converter out of the
game.
The trans *never* overheated.
I gave it to a friend in 2004. It had 187,000 well serviced miles and was
all original. It was due to have the seals replaced but if I let is run for
about 1.5 minutes on a cold morning, no problem. The oil in the pan
and the can always smelled the same.

I like your idea for a tow car.

Bryan