[Land-speed] Spins or Slides on the Salt...

Rick Byrnes Rick at RBMotorsports.com
Thu Jun 4 19:53:06 MDT 2009

OK Doc
I joined the spin out club in 92 (I think).    50 Years old.  Car #224.
After rains made the course pretty mushy, I did some loops with the Merkur
in the 3rd mile.  Warner is wrong though.  At that point I wasn't really
close enough to 200 that I had the fever.  That happened the next year and
the years that followed with speeds right around 200, but no two back to
back...

I think the cause of spins tends to be over-reacting to the yaw that can and
does occur, and this is a function of seat time.  (and too fast steering
ratio, and too quick a throttle pedal.)

I don't believe its about age directly, as in 07 with the Fusion, I had lots
of correcting to do at the high end and no real stability problems.  SEAT
TIME that 14 years helped with.  Plus practicing in the snow and slush of
southeastern Michigan.
I joke about that, but actually do practice looking out toward the horizon
while the tail end of my van is moving all around while accelerating faster
than conditions allow.  I think it is good training, as long as there are no
other cars to hit.  I've gone around that way too, but I'm still convinced
it is good training.
Wanna trade houses for a few years?

For the most part I think there are two kind of drivers at Bonneville.
Those who have done pirouettes and those that will.

Rick