[Land-speed] Knock sensor placement on flathead!

James Tone gmc6power at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 2 10:47:50 MDT 2009

If so, why? I
>understand that active detonation control via some sort of in car emgine
>management systen is a no-no, but data logging and then tuning to
>eliminate that are fair game. True? Not true?

You answered yourself. Temptation and connected wires. Greg answered what he was going to do. I am just making sure he knew.

I know someday, it already may have happened, competitors will have these devices attached and working to control their vintage engines and won't be caught. Like Danica Patrick just said about drug testing, "If I'm not caught it must be OK". Some folks don't have a conscience if they get what they want by circumventing the rules and are not caught they a happy. They even snicker at the person trying to do it legally. I feel sorry for them and they will answer to a higher "official" someday.

LSR competitveness is advancing everyday. I do not have the ability to keep up electronically or otherwise. I know how to add HP and less resistance to my drive train, but will I do it as others are doing now, probably not. I pride myself on the simplicity of the accomplishments our family has done with what we had. I look what is being spent to achieve many of the records today and think I haven't spent that in my 35 years and 2 race cars. Do I begruge them? absolutly not, They are now doing the dream they had when they were young and chose not to do. I found a way to "fit it in" with out breaking my bank account or spending my retirement.

I have had the good luck to be competitive for a very long time but as those who were in the same position in the 50's, 60's 70's, 80's time moves on and the records they "rented" are broken by others with the newer advancements. One can sit back and "bitch" that the rules aren't the same or congratulate those who have done better. I choose the latter. One of my happiest moments was giving Bill Goldman his "Red Hat" for breaking a record I had for a couple of years.

The best thing in LSR is the friends I have made the lasting relations with those friends. I will never spend the time I once spent in LSR but will run when I can. I will always treasure these frendships along with the "Red Hat" earned by first my son and then luckily by me.

Sorry for the rant...................JD