[Land-speed] Knock sensor placement on flathead!

Greg Meyers advo at comcast.net
Tue Jun 2 06:56:00 MDT 2009

Studying octane/advance/detonation:
Now I need to figure out where the quietest place on a Ford flathead would
be to place a knock sensor. Where is knock likely to be heard first? These
can be fooled by solid lifter noise.  I want it to sample both sides.  Are
intake valves quieter than exhaust valves?  I'm thinking that maybe that if
I make a steel strap that straddles between one stud on each head, I would
be sampling both sides.  The studs
would be into the head only, near the back of the motor, squarely between
the two back cylinders in each bank, just towards the cylinder from the
transition point between squish and valve lands (intakes).
Any thoughts?