[Land-speed] trailer ramps

Ed Weldon 23.weldon at comcast.net
Fri Jan 16 09:19:51 MST 2009

Jim --
I built a set of ramps out of exterior plywood the way you'd build a boat
except closed on both sides to get the best beam strength.  They are curved
just right , thin in the ends and thick in the middle, screwed and glued
together.
This does three things for you.  It makes a perfect beam shape for
strength(like a crossection of an airplane wing), it positions the underside
of the car to properly clear the edge of the trailer so you don't have to
jack the tongue up real high when loading and it makes for smaller and
simpler transition pieces at each end (I used the simple aftermarket
aluminum extension kits designed to go on the ends of 2x12's.)   Mine are 8
ft. long.
Note that the belly pan won't be right over the back edge of the trailer to
drag on it as the car comes to perfect parallel level with the trailer bed
because tthe curve in the ramps is over "air' not the back edge of the
trailer.
If you're going to go longer than 8 ft (which you probably won't need to do
if you make them my way) you'll have to scarf extensions on at one end,
preferably the end that touches the ground. (or hunt up some longer 10 ft
plywood which a few building suppliers can get) This scarfing is common boat
building practice for plywood construction and works well with an 8:1 taper
at the joint, good epoxy adhesive and lots of clamps.  You cut the scarfs
with a belt sander and watch the spacing between the plywood layers to get
them right while sanding.
Ed Weldon