[Land-speed] Racing fuel injector

Dave Dahlgren ddahlgren at snet.net
Fri Jan 9 19:35:03 MST 2009

For argument sake lets pick a 500 inch engine and if you want to fill me in
better with what you are running it helps..
a 2000 rpm idle with sequential system has an available time of 60 ms.
1.5/60=0.025 or a 2.5% duty cycle where the opening can be counted to repeat
with some success according to the ad.. this equals 60 lbs/hr or 120 hp on
gas or about 50 to 60 hp on alky..unless you are running nitro you will be
very very rich.. an average friction load on a BBC is 12 to 16 hp or 6 to 8
lbs/hr.. with some luck you can hope for a slow but reliable opening time
for this injector and suspect the case as it only needs 4 amps and for this
flow rating it has to be there is just too much area in the nozzle to flow
that much and not require more than the force 4 amps offer. So if the gods
of EFI are smiling the opening time is 1 ms. painfully slow... now you have
0.5/60=0.008333 or .8333 duty cycle or a tiny bit less than 20 lbs/hr
probably workable but will fail the linearity test that is claimed unless
the flow rate somehow catches up at the very end of the duty cycle range...
again non linear.. I would not believe any claims without extensive flow
testing by someone independent.. Lesson over..LOL..
Dave
Oh and EFI guru might be a dangerous word as well on what with what..
personally I will consider myself a practitioner workin on some of the
fastest cars and bikes in the world rather than a 'guru'..LOL...