[Land-speed] Dry Sump

Elon saltfever at comcast.net
Fri Jan 2 17:55:26 MST 2009

Skip, after you raised the question I went out and put a torque wrench my 4
stage, Moroso, gerotor pump. The problem with quantifying ''dry sump'' is
there are too many variables. HP will vary with, number of stages, oil
viscosity, oil pressure, and gear type (spur vs. gerotor).  Anyway, I put a
torque wrench on it and got 14 inch ounces (with residual internal oil but
not flowing oil). That seems quite high but I guess that is it's internal
friction. If I had a torque sensor I could pump oil by using a hand drill .
. .sorry. So if friction increases as the square of the speed (I forget); 14
in-oz (or .07lb-ft) at 5252rpm is about 5 hp in friction alone.  -Elon