[Land-speed] Non-LSR Hydraulic Hybrids

Ed Weldon 23.weldon at comcast.net
Fri Jan 2 14:26:26 MST 2009

Neil -- I agree.  The high pressure is a problem. Probably not a good DIY
project. An awful lot of oil can leak through a hole you can't even see when
it's got 5000 psi behind it.  Such problems don't seem to discourage
development work on hydrogen or even CNG vehicle technology.  I suspect one
of the big concerns for engineers is how to replace the flamable hydraulic
fluid with fluids that won't burn.  Fireproof hydraulic fluids and the
internals of high pressure hydraulic pumps require expensive mediation to
get them to coexist.  But even at half the pressure their might be a decent
payback.  At 2500 psi you are in the realm of everyday hydraulic technology.