[Land-speed] rollcage welding

Benn karhu at california.com
Thu Feb 26 12:09:07 MST 2009

Thanks for the response, Dave.
I don't think it'll be possible to get more than the main bar with some
sleeve stubs removed from the car temporarily--any significant extensions
just won't have enough room to maneuver.

I do kinda like the "slide it forward" approach:   But I'm trying to get the
main hoop as tall as possible, and that means it fits behind the roof
reinforcement at the rear of the T-tops.  I also only can move it forward
about 4" (need up to 8" to get the main hoop into the door opening) without
moving the front hoop closer to the main hoop, since the front hoop will
othewise run into the A-pillar.

Hmm, maybe the main hoop could be pivoted about its top without the front
hoop attached.   Some puzzle-fitting may work by moving some bar positions a
few inches...  Thanks for the thoughts--I may need to use some combination
of all these approaches.

So is the implication that I'd need at least "several" inches clearance to a
wall to get a good weld around the circumference of the side bars?
Benn