[Land-speed] 3m 1357 Scotch-Weld Neoprene High performance contact Adhesive

Ed Weldon 23.weldon at comcast.net
Wed Feb 11 19:25:39 MST 2009

Doug -- It's a contact cement.  Works different than JB weld , which is a
filled 2 part epoxy and sets pretty hard without much flex.  We've all had
experience with contact cement.  It usually allows some flex.  It holds as
long as nothing is continuously pulling on it.  This 1357 stuff is a whole
lot stronger, maybe a better description is tougher.  Contact cement on
nitro.  If you've ever tried to use the ordinary shoe glue to repair leather
on shoes you know that it can be pulled off.  There was no way I could pull
those leather protectors off David's skates without all my strength and a
good pair of pliers to grip the heavy leather.
David plays amatuer hockey in a league in San Jose that regularly uses the
Shark's practice rink.  It's a heavy contact sport and some of the palyers
are not the best skaters. 1/8" thick Leather strips glued onto the outside
of his skates at heel and toe to protect the main skate from being torn up
by the blades and carbon fiber hockey sticks of the other players when the
crash.
If you've ever tried using double stick tape and been unhappy when it came
loose, try this stuff.  Just don't plan on taking it apart without wrecking
any non-metallic that it is holding together.
Ed Weldon