[Land-speed] last US flathead?

joseph lance jolylance at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 4 13:09:09 MST 2009

Last flat head engines;

Last Plymouth was 59, Maybe some Studebakers after 58

DeSoto and Chrysler ended 53 or 54

Last Hudson was 56

Last Packard and Pontiac in 54.

Packard 1954 in-line flathead straight eight had 8.7 CR, nice quench area,
think it was the highest stock CR of ANY production engine in 1954 including
the "modern" OHV V8s.

I think my 63 Corvette 327 cid, 340 HP still holds the CR record at 11.25
for U.S. production engines.

Lance