[Land-speed] The Steam Boys

23weldon 23.weldon at comcast.net
Sun Aug 30 08:41:15 MDT 2009

Long as we're into steam fantasy here's one to mull over....... Hydrogen and
oxygen combine together to create water and heat.  If this goes on in a
closed vessel the result is steam at some pressure.  This can all be
calculated (I haven't done that yet; need to dig out my old thermodynamics
book).  The steam can then be throttled into either a steam turbine or a
conventional steam engine with pistons and cylinders or some other kind of
positive displacement engine.
To me the essential question beyond the obvious technical issues is just
exactly what does the FIA define as a steam powered vehicle ...... or do
they define it at all?
I notice the SCTA rule book lists the record; but offers little further
definition of what constitutes a stem powered streamliner.
Ed Weldon