[Land-speed] The Steam Boys

Wester Potter wester6935 at comcast.net
Sun Aug 30 05:14:08 MDT 2009

I've wondered about what Ormond Beach, Florida (today's Daytona) was
like.
They ran close to the water on a course that was damp sand.  It gave
enough
support that they ran multiple lap stock car races on it.  One
direction on the
beach and then up onto the asphalt to complete a lap.  There's a Jeff
Decker
life sized bronze of Joe Petralli on a streamlined 1937 Harley at
that transition
from beach to pavement today.  That was a 147 MPH record run that stood
until Rollie Free made his iconic 150.313 average Bonneville run in
1948.

It is my understanding that they are running on a paved runway at
Edwards
today.  Certainly a better surface for rolling resistance than the
Bonneville salt
or the playa at ElMirage.  Mike Cook is there and could give a
definitive answer.

Ormond/Daytona was a better course than the Pendine Sands of Wales.  If
not the racers would have stayed in the British Isles for top speed
record
attempts.  Perhaps the Florida sand was just a longer course too.  When
Campbell made the first 300 + MPH pass it was at Bonneville and that was
a faster surface than that day's Daytona.

Ab Jenkins (and I assume the other endurance racers of the 1930's) when
the course would break up had the Utah State Road Commission crew
put rock fill into those areas between his 10 or 12.5 mile laps.
Can't you see
the BLM  reaction to that today?  He also just extended the course
outward,
away from the tightest line to avoid the soft spots.

Malcolm should be able to give an answer about the differences.
Whatever
the course, the frontal area on the Stanley race car was pretty large
and
they were running on taller, narrower tires.

I have a funny mental image just keeps coming back:  a Jack Costella,
steam powered streamliner towing a water tank trailer at Bonneville.
Could that be the configuration for a future American steam powered
record
attempt?  Do the rules specify how many wheels?

Wes