[Land-speed] Brake testing in CA

Ed Weldon 23.weldon at comcast.net
Thu Apr 30 19:33:53 MDT 2009

Did you guys know that it is illegal and a moving violation to test your
brakes on California roads at speeds over 25mph?

This afternoon a fellow called Len Tillum's KGO legal talk show saying he was
stopped on a recent night on I5 by a CHP officer for doing this and saying so
when questioned. The officer gave him a warning; but ticketted his wife, who
was laying down sleeping in the back of his minivan, for not wearing a
seatbelt.  The driver was a fairly mature sounding fellow with a very distinct
East Indian accent.

Say what?  On I5 where there are two nighttime speeds, 59 in the right lane
(truckers) and 95 in the left?  Go figure...

Anyway if you get stopped in CA and asked why you hit the brakes "I was just
testing them" is the wrong answer.

So everyone repeat after me:   "I saw a critter trying to cross the road" or
"I heard a strange noise inside the vehicle and slowed to investigate".

Also, as kinky as it may sound seatbelts on the beds of your camper rig may
not be such a bad idea.

Ed Weldon