[Land-speed] Drilling Plexiglass

Rich Fox v4gr at rcn.com
Fri Apr 17 20:37:17 MDT 2009

I don't know about "The old days" but going back 45 years every airplane I
worked on had Lexan windows. The short answer to this question is,  Don' use
Plexiglas. The rules tell you not to. Inspectors will tell you so if they
know you did. And it's bad to use for this. Would you use plate glass for
your front door.? Or windshield? No, that's why they have laminated safety
plate and tempered glass.  An aside, once in the Army somebody decided we
should take a 50 caliber machine gun and give everybody a few shots into the
dessert. Someone brought a thick piece of "Bullet proof Glass" which I think
was Lexan and came out of some aircraft. It was propped up about 25 yards in
front of the Browning and a round touched off. Pretty much disappeared. I
guess the "bullet proof" nomenclature was just for building confidence.