[Land-speed] Spoiler Questions..

drmayf drmayf at mayfco.com
Sat Sep 20 10:51:38 MDT 2008

I am about to embark on building a spoiler for the world's fastest
sunbeam (wannabe). But before I get too deep into it, I'd like to hear
from some of your real fabricators about how to do some things,
materials used, ect. I have read the rule book and have chatted some
with Dan Warner. so I have some answers already. I need to purchase
materials, so what thicknesses did you use for the spill plates? How
about for the main spoiler chord? Was what you built adjustable? I want
the sunbeam unit to be capable of changing the angle of attack in the
pit. Did you use a hinge at the point where the spoiler meets the body
line Heck, is a hinge even legal? Fill plates: how did you attach them
to the spoiler or to the car?  How wide did you make the spoiler chord?
Why?   Are under chord siffeners legal? They would go from side to side
just o keep the chord from flexing.

I would love to hear off list from any and all of you who have
successfully built a spoiler with the end spill plates and for sure, if
you have a picure or two you might share then that would be even
better!  I define success as one that has made it through a record run
and any potential protests or Dan, whichever comes first, lol...

many thanks in advance,