[Land-speed] Black Lines

Tom Shannon saltfevr at q.com
Thu Sep 11 22:21:14 MDT 2008

Ed;

Might I add it was always a pleasure to see the "boat mobile" come down
"Burford Blvd" as you brought us course stewards cold drinks/snacks. Also hats
off to relief guy, Pat Mcdowell,offering green room breaks & lunch!

I've heard about the famed "Black Lines' maybe going away soon. BLM is
definately pushing the envelope. USFRA for WOS has used orange or black
garbage bag signs to help mark the courses,as Speedweek lines are sometimes
blurred in spots. Sitting inside at the long course 5 mile, most racers turn
out at 6 or 6 1/2 mile. Chuck Kalbach or Cris & Ed had a better view of the
return road west side. Yes, some racers stop on the course or barely off,
causing stewards to push/pull them clear. I'm all for better markers to hasten
their safe turn outs.

Tom ShannonMagna, Utah> From: 23.weldon at comcast.net> To: jdincau at qnet.com> CC:
saltfevr at q.com> Subject: Re: [Land-speed] Black Lines> Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008
16:44:59 -0700> > Jim -- I figured as much. Also I know what triggered the
idea of the orange> and black cones. When I got done making my rounds in the
afternoon I'd hang> out with one of the long course patrols at the 5, 6 or 7.
I was amazed at> the number of fast cars (liners especially)that would just
stop in the> middle of the course out there or just barely make it into the
turnout.> Sure looked like the drivers (and these folks are not exactly
rookies) had> trouble seeing the dragged turnouts at high speed. And I can
understand not> wanting to hit a tight curve at speed in a narrow wheelbase
car.> Seems to me that lines of more cones are going to get hit by the Laws
of> Unintended Consequences. Like protracted course shut downs to herd cones>
that have gone on walkabouts.> I guess we'll just wait and see if better ideas
for solving this problem> surface.> CC to Tom Shannon: Tom, you saw a lot of
this. What do you think of the> cone idea?> Ed Weldon> > ----- Original
Message ----- > From: "Jim Dincau" <jdincau at qnet.com>> To: "Ed Weldon"
<23.weldon at comcast.net>> Sent: Thursday, September 11, 2008 4:16 PM> Subject:
Re: [Land-speed] Black Lines> > > > Ed,> > Actually the statement was it costs
$9,600 to lay the lines. I assume> > this means the cost of the tanker truck
with the spraying equipment is> > included.> > Jim> >> >> >>