[Land-speed] Hans Device and Safety

Doug Odom dlodom at charter.net
Thu Sep 11 15:52:23 MDT 2008

Elon, There seems to be some confusion about the "data".   I for one was
trying to find out if there was any "Real Data" on the G forces that LSR
cars have experienced in their crashes. I know Indy cars routinely
experience G Forces of 45 to 60 G's when they hit the outside or inside
wall. We don't race Indy cars or NASCAR Stock cars or have walls to run into
so their data is not totally useable. Drag race cars are closer to LSR cars
in the lakester and streamliner classes and do use parachutes but they also
have side walls to run into. Have we had any LSR crashes that resulted in a
Basilar Skull Fracture? IMHO Each type of LSR vehicle has its own set of
problems that need to be looked at and not a one size fits all approach.
Doug Odom in big ditch