[Land-speed] White Lightning?

Jon Bishop jon.the.wise at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 01:44:55 MDT 2008

On Sep 8, 2008, at 12:27 AM, Wester Potter wrote:

> You could possibly get some answers from:
> <snip>
> Perry W. Carter
> Assoc. Prof.
> Manufacturing Engineering Technology
> School of Technology
> 265 CTB
> Brigham Young University
> 801-422-2901
>
> He heads up a student project car, an EV1 that was donated to the
> university by General Motors.  They have been drag racing it.
> Started with Optima batteries and then moved on to two large
> banks of capacitors.  Bumped their quarter mile speeds from
> the low seventies to the nineties.
> They have been looking at batteries to power their E1 class
> electric streamliner.
>
> Wes

Thanks Wes. Not exactly what I had in mind though. As for batteries,
in regards to lead acid, the exide orbitals are the most popular for
EV builders right now. I'll have to talk to Perry, see if he's tried
running the batteries in parallel to the capacitors... but again, not
what I was looking for...

What I'm looking for is some info on how they built their battery
packs in the white lightning. The car used over 6,000 NiMH AA
batteries. I just wanted to know how they arranged them, how the
hookups were made, and so on.

Thanks again!

~Jon