[Land-speed] Fwd: Amazing Dolphins/Non LSR

BWANA343 at aol.com BWANA343 at aol.com
Sat Sep 6 09:08:01 MDT 2008

____________________________________
 My approach to LSR is much more on the Aero emphasis, due both to  how
interesting it is to me, and the success of vehicles I've found do the  homework
and the subsequent advantages they've gained. I've watched  this video many
times, really can't get anything practical out of it  except for being further
humbled by nature, and hope there's a practical  application ,maybe in a vortex
generation device. Enjoy, I hope
Bob W

The  attached video is of dolphins playing with silver colored rings which
they have the ability to make under water to play with. It isn't known  how
they learn this, or if it's an inbred ability.

As if by magic  the dolphin does a quick flip of its head and a silver ring
appears in  front of its pointed beak... The ring is a solid, donut shaped
bubble  about 2-ft across, yet it doesn't rise to the surface of the water!
It  stands upright in the water like a magic doorway to an unseen  dimension.

The dolphin then pulls a small silver donut from the  larger one.  Looking at
the twisting ring for one last time a bite  is taken from it, causing the
small ring to collapse into a thousands of  tiny bubbles which head upward
towards the water's surface. After a few  moments the dolphin creates another
ring to play with. There also seems  to be a separate mechanism for producing
small rings, which a dolphin  can accomplish by a quick flip of its head.

An explanation of how  dolphins make these silver rings is that they are
'air-core vortex  rings'. Invisible, spinning vortices in the water are
generated from the  tip of a dolphin's dorsal fin when it is moving rapidly
and turning.  When dolphins break the line, the ends are drawn together into
a closed  ring. The higher velocity fluid around the core of the vortex is at
a  lower pressure than the fluid circulating farther away. Air is injected
into the rings via bubbles released from the dolphin's blowhole. The  energy
of the water vortex is enough to keep the bubbles from rising for  a
reasonably few seconds of  play
time.

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/octet-stream which had a name of BlowingRings.wmv]