[Land-speed] Hans Device and Safety

drmayf drmayf at mayfco.com
Sat Sep 6 08:41:55 MDT 2008

Well, looks to me like something will be required. The rules commitee
are skating around the issue and due to the nature of the event, they
generally come down on the side of safety. I think air bags would work
better.  And why not?, We do not see HANS devices mandated by the
government on street cars because that would be costly. So we have
mandated frontal air bags.   Actually, wha t I think is that  I would
like the rules folks to stop taking care of me because they are going to
price me right out of racing. Whether by eventually retiring my dinky
car because it will cost too much to keep it in spec or by forcing me to
purchase so much personal safety equipment that I cannot afford that
either. I suspect many of us are in that situation.

mayf