[Land-speed] Hans Device and Safety

James Tone gmc6power at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 5 10:33:31 MDT 2008

Many of our vehicles were constructed prior to any need/knowledge of head and neck restraints. Many will be hard to use in the constraints which were built at the time. I'm sure Teague #76 liner could be a problem with a Hans type device. He was a very tight fit in the car. I'm hoping the Officials and rules committee will take this into their discussions. Mike Cook and his Son have used many of the devices and Jr. has posted he has already changed to a different style to enter and exit his car with what we would call ease.
With NASCAR and the COT the driver has been mandated to sit closer to the middle and lower than the older style cars. All of the winners take their helmets, devices, air tubes, radios, etc: off before getting out of their vehicles. There is no way in he-- that is possible in my roadster.

I'm hoping the older Hutchins device and D-Cell device will acceptable to our rules even tho they do not to meet SFI approval. There are quite a few manufacturers and we would need to know what will be acceptable and I'm sure we will.

...JD

.