[Land-speed] Dry Chemical Fire Bottles

J.D. Tone gmc6power at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 22 19:09:33 MDT 2008

The one time I used one many years ago I used a 1/2 " swedgeloc standard
fitting because it fit the extinguishers line. The hose from the 20# bottle
went to the fitting and I used electrical locknuts to secure it to the
firewall. I flared open that end with 3/4" drill. I ran my line engine so I
didn't worry about 2 nozzles only using the one directly on the
header/intake side of the engine.
Anyone ever seeing how much chemical, in my case purple K, would exhaust out
of a 20# bottle thru a 1/2" hole knows it would smother any fire under the
hood of a roadster. It would make a hell of a mess but I feel put out or
smother any fire. I used a large clutch pedal return type spring to hold the
handle down after operating the lever by pulling the pin. I never had a
problem during inspections. I think I took it out when I needed the room for
a water tank. Good Luck