[Land-speed] Quick Release Helmet Restraints

John Staiger lsrvette at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 19 07:43:03 MDT 2008

Zorro - humor aside, thanks for the lead on Crossbow.  For the last 5 years
I have used crossed mercury switches as a tilt sensor to fire the chutes on
the Arrow streamliner bike if she leaned to far over.  This system worked
well in 2006 when a blown front tire launched the bike in a violent roll and
pitch maneuver.  The rider never had a chance to react.  The good news was
the chute caught the bike beginning it's pitch, straightened it out, and
slid it to a stop.  No injuries and minimal damage to the bike.

I was planning on do the same design as an upgrade to the Berkeley this off
season.  I think I will use the Crossbow analog tilt sensor instead.  It
looks to be far more reliable and possesses order of magnitude increases in
precision.

So sometimes crazy ideas are not so crazy...

John
569