[Land-speed] 1750 EGT>From>JGMagoo

Bryan Savage b.a.savage at wildblue.net
Wed Oct 1 20:42:30 MDT 2008

In addition to piston crown which will fail catastrophically, the
turbine in turbo
will erode, slowly erasing the turbine blades. You hope it's slow.
breaking a turbine
blade usually eats the entire turbo. Thank god it rarely happens.

I have forgotten what the suggested max was on the Rayjay 400F I used. I
can
look it up if it's important.
I think it was 1700. When I ran 1800, I didn't notice problem with the
turbine, but
I didn't have a Pro. look at it. Only made two runs at 15 PSIG.

Also, with a turbo, EGT at one port 6" from the valve seat will be lower
than just
after the primary pipes merge. Significantly lower. On a dyno with the
lights out
and at night, this becomes very apparent. On a turbo Offy, the primary's
are a nice
bright read until they merge. At that point the secondary pipe becomes
almost white
hot! It drops down to bright red all the way to the turbine inlet. The
turbine housing is
red but not so bright and the pipe out of the turbo is barely red hot.

The blend of gasoline is very important when you have more than about 10
PSIG boost.
ERC E8 has additives that carry more heat out of the combustion chamber than
normal racing gas. It also has a deep detonation cushion. I got
detention at 29 PSIG
but not until it was in 6th gear on a FIA return run. Didn't occur on
the down run.
The additive's aren't cheap.

Cooling piston crowns with oil jets works great, but you can still hole
one if you
work at it.

Bryan