[Land-speed] Tuesday chat

Ed Weldon 23.weldon at comcast.net
Tue Nov 25 20:45:12 MST 2008

Glen, Thanks for the reminder..... but, darn...... Home too late for the
Tuesday chat this time......
Here's something interesting I found posted on the Seattle Metalheads Yahoo
group forum today by Grant Erwin gwe at tinyisland.com :

"If you have to lay out a fishmouth joint fitting two tubes or pipes
together,
you can download tubemiter or winmiter and use those to print out templates
which you can then cut/grind using your favorite torch. But what if you only
have a horizontal cutoff bandsaw or chop saw?
"This is a site worth looking at. For me, it didn't work in Netscape or
Firefox,
but did work in IE: http://snip.awardspace.com ('snip' stands for Sawing
Notch
In Pipe).
"I haven't tried it yet, but there are pictures on the Web. Here are a
couple:
http://i376.photobucket.com/albums/oo210/ecortech/DSC00005-11.jpg
http://i376.photobucket.com/albums/oo210/ecortech/DSC00006-5.jpg
"Enjoy,  Grant Erwin"

If you're doing roll cage work this winter and have had it with hole saws
this might be of interest.
Note that if you are working with two different pipe diameters enter the
actual ID of the smaller pipe that sets at an angle.
And I'm kind of guessing that if one were making a three tube junction you
could use just the first angle for each side of the middle pipe.
(uhhhhh......did anyone understand me?  Oh well.... you guys are pretty
smart.  Study it while I try to figure a better way to say it without a
drawing..... if I can....)
I haven't tried any of this yet; so no guarantees of satisfaction from my
corner.
And the snip calculation did work for me on Firefox as well as IE.
Ed Weldon