[Land-speed] OT Corvette advice

Dave Dahlgren ddahlgren at snet.net
Sat Nov 22 10:16:58 MST 2008

Ok we have to have more than a few Corvette owners here... I bought a 91 that
has some good things and some issues.. Tire pressure monitoring system not
working correctly and seems to be common as well as radio issues antenna and
issues in general with the Bose sound system with 6 separate subsystems all
fragile and all expensive. Last it has the fx3 electronically adjustable
shocks and I can not find a difference in any setting.. The most annoying is
the bolt for the roof on the drivers side front is broken and it is way too
cold out today to fight that battle. Next week will be warmer for that game..
So here are the questions..

The radio Bose system while it looks nice and stock I am thinking it will be
much simpler to buy something new and install it with the knowledge I will
have to run new speaker wires and replace all 4 speakers as the Bose are 2
ohm.. A good or bad plan? I will keep the OEM pieces for the day I sell the
car and offer them with the car should someone want to have them repaired and
put the car back to OEM.. How hard is it to get to the rear speakers is my
question?? No matter what I do I have to fix the antenna... It looks like a
real pain unless by luck the drivers side muffler decides to come off easy
which I doubt. For now I can live without the radio.

The mounting point for the roof, is this on a bracket on the pillar that is
easy to remove and work on in a milling machine etc. or a sit in the car and
drill??

This car is wildly stiff and have driven enough race preped cars to know when
there are issues with something binding. I am thinking the actuator motors are
moving but not adjusting the shocks so there are no errors coming up. I was
thinking of removing the front actuators for the shocks and noting the
position and reinstall set to another setting and remove them or can I just
change the setting and see if the motors turn. I have also been told Bilsten
can rebuild the shocks for a reasonable price. Yes no or maybe or better to
install the regular shocks and just forget about the adjustable ones?

Tire pressure sensors are easy pull the bulb that complains and forget about
them I could care less.If one of the straps breaks that hold them to the
center of the rims I have bigger problems..

The rest of the car is very clean for a 91 inside and out and only 66k miles..
I also bought it knowing all the bushings ties rod ends etc were going to be
replaced just on years alone so I had planned on putting some money into it
though some of these were not on the list..

Last any good reasonable supplier recommendations??
Dave