[Land-speed] Contact patch size

joseph lance jolylance at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 17 20:06:03 MST 2008

Jon;

You're math sounds okay, but try a simple experiment to test it with a
vehicle and tire of  your choice. Jack it up on one corner, paint a section
of the tire with a sticky white paint, very slowly lower it to the ground
for a minute, jack up the vehicle again, then measure the area of that ugly
spot on your garage floor. Repeat for different tire pressures and make big
polka dots all over your garage floor.

You'll get slightly different results depending on the construction of the
tire even with the same tire aspect ratio but the above experiment is
probably to crude to measure any such difference. Your analysis assumes that
a tire is like a special kind of balloon that stretches in only one
dimension.

It also implicitly assumes that a bigger contact patch means better
traction. Can't help remembering that a series 70 tire will start
hydroplaning at a MPH = 9.8 x the square root of the inflation pressure. A
series 60 tire inflated to the SAME pressure will start hydroplaning at a
lower MPH (even though the contact patch has a larger area) because the psi
between the road and the tire patch is lower. Based on what some of the guys
say about the salt, I think that accelerating on the salt must be more akin
to a wet road than a sticky asphalt surface, so a bigger contact patch by
itself does not necessarily mean more traction for a fixed vehicle weight.

In any case, a static analysis to define the contact patch with the vehicle
standing still is way different than the area of the contact patch and the
contact psi you'll get at speed with high RPM centrifugal force acting on
the OD of the tire.

Lance