[Land-speed] Contact Patch Size

Elon saltfever at comcast.net
Mon Nov 17 18:21:32 MST 2008

Jon, my apologies I will have to bow out for a day or so because of current
work load. I appreciate what you are trying to accomplish by filtering out
the variables. So to keep it simple; you assume there is a linear
relationship between pressure and all the parts of the system. However, a
tire is a composite pressure vessel. The loaded fibers, and rubber matrix,
all react differently to pressure and NOT in a liner fashion. Therefore,
some parts move more than others. You get a nonlinear change in contact
patch with pressure changes.  You have all seen the different patch that a
slick leaves due to inflation pressure. Underinflated, the edges push down
and the center crowns up. Overinflated, the highest pressure is in the
center of the patch.  Unit area pressure is not evenly distributed across
the patch because individual member of the composite react differently to
pressure changes.  Great topic, wish I had more time . . . see yah.  -Elon