[Land-speed] Contact patch size

Doug Odom dlodom at charter.net
Mon Nov 17 16:58:30 MST 2008

Jon, Anytime you are thinking or talking about race tires first you have to
understand. It makes all the difference in the world if you are talking
about a radial tire or a bias belted tire. Having spent many days in the
shop with a car on four scales, changing tire pressure and sizes and load
and having been on many stock car tire tests with Goodyear and a lot more
with the old Firestone stock car tire I can tell you most of the time what
works with radial tires makes bias worse handling. What you see and hear on
the TV at the nascar races in no way will work on LSR tires. They change air
pressure to change the spring rate of that corner of the car. Changing 2
lbs. of air in a radial will not change the foot print very much at all but
it will change the spring rate a bunch. You would not even feel it in a
straight line but in the corner you sure would.     Just my 2 cents
Doug in big ditch