[Land-speed] Contact patch size

Skip Higginbotham saltrat at pahrump.com
Mon Nov 17 14:59:49 MST 2008

Elon,

Please explain to me how patch size "obviously" varies with surface
medium. I assume here that you are not talking about mud. We don't
run on mud, snow or sand.

Also, when most of us talk about pressure and it's effects, we assume
that the tire is designed for the actual load, high speed (200+) and
high pressure (75 psi+).

I do know that at Bonneville, lower tire pressures permit flex and
heat generation and in so doing, use up horsepower. An increase in
tire pressure reduces heat and HP loss (reduces patch size) and
usually increases speed. Traction is also usually increased due to
higher patch pressure (the reason that drag slicks/other wide tires
are not effective).

Skip