[Land-speed] Theft Insurance, Pt II

BWANA343 at aol.com BWANA343 at aol.com
Thu Nov 13 14:10:47 MST 2008

Got through to Ins Co rep, asked about the "hold-back" deal.
I was directed to a endorsement update, apparently in my policy since 1999
that mostly described this procedure. It read;
"If the cost to repair or replace the described property is more than $500,
we will pay no more than the actual cash value for the loss until the actual
repair or replacement is completed.
You may make claim for loss on an actual cash value basis and then make
claim for additional  liability in accordance with this endorsement  provided you
notify us within 180 days after the date of loss"
I cajoled and schmoozed and she got back later and said based on her
research she quoted an amount she felt was reasonable .Basically took my  $500
deductible off the top and held back the 20% on about two thirds of the  remainder
to arrive at the figure she arrived at, which was way higher than I  thought it
would be.
Considering I only had proof of purchase on half of the stuff stolen, this
isn't a bad deal, I think.
She did allow that if I contact her within that 180 day period, she'd  extend
it practically indefinitely to allow me to make replacement  purchases when I
need to, especially considering LSR for me is mostly after 180  days from now.
I like my Ins Co, never had a problem with them in the over 25 years I've
been with them. We all know the little dance we do , especially in Auto fender
benders, to cover the deductible , or in some cases actually commit fraud to
battle a Ins Co agent who fights every claim and treats everybody like they
are  out to make a profit on an accident or theft. I've never had that problem
since  I've had this Company. Your mileage may vary,obviously.
Thanks to all who either offered advice or gave condolences, it's all only
stuff..
BOB W...."nothing anti matters"