[Land-speed] Fw: 2008 BUB photobook is finished

Dave Dahlgren ddahlgren at snet.net
Mon Nov 10 12:29:09 MST 2008

In all due respect Ellen possibly he has not turned a profit yet... First
you have to pay the bills then it starts turning into profit other than the
costs of advertising paying someone to pick ship deliver by whatever
means... This is a lot different than a fixed amount per copy sold is
donated and insures that the person that make the generous offer does not
only lose money on the book and ends up contributing money that is not his
to give away but to pay creditors.. Same deal with Newman's Own donating
profits to charities.. if there is no profit there is no donation.. Pretty
simple business 101 to protect the person making the donation from giving
away proceeds that should be used to pay creditors.  Look at it this way if
the offer was 1 dollar per copy and 20000 sold the most that would be given
would be 20000 dollars. But is the break even is 20000 copies and the profit
10 a copy.. then the donation 90000.. a wildly generous offer..obviously an
incentive to give the book good reviews and help promote it. This might not
be looked at as a selfish offer on the authors part but a smart move to keep
him out of going potentially bankrupt trying to do something nice..
Dave