[Land-speed] Media Passes...

Wester Potter wester6935 at comcast.net
Tue May 6 18:44:24 MDT 2008

Guys,

The Bureau of Land Management has specific rules for photographs, at
events or not, taken on any BLM managed land.

If the photographer sells the photos, post event,  they are supposed
to get a permit from the BLM and pay a fee for the privilege of taking
the photos.  There are exceptions for photos used for immediate media
like newspapers and TV.  I can get  you a copy of those BLM rules if
you are concerned.

We have had problems with some photographers who end up in the middle
of an incident on the salt.  First of all they don't belong there and
are not supposed to get closer to the track than the quarter mile/
1,000 foot mark.  Second, they hamper the work of the safety people.
Too often they are in the middle of an investigation trying to
determine the cause of the incident.  They are only given permission
to be beyond the spelled out parameters if they are requested to be
there by race officials.  Most photographers respect those rules.  The
rule now is that  they will be escorted off the salt and denied access
for the rest of the event if they don't comply with those
restrictions.  Mostly it's just being respectful of the rules.

Photographers who are given permission to be beyond the starting line
at a World of Speed event all have a day-glo orange cap with PRESS
printed on it.  If they are not wearing it they have no reason to be
beyond the starting line in the first place.

With the advent of digital photography and photo hosting sites on the
web there are going to be a lot of photos out there.  We don't want to
prevent fans from taking photos but we expect "professional"
photographers to follow the rules.

Wes Potter
Media Relations
USFRA