[Land-speed] Torque Drop>From>JG Magoo

Jim Dincau jdincau at qnet.com
Thu May 1 17:00:44 MDT 2008

Doug,
     F1 engines are typically twin gear driven cams with pivoting followers
between the cam lobe and a cup on top of the valve stem. There are no
conventional valve springs but the cup rides in a bore that is pressurized
with nitrogen. When the engine is out of the car it is hooked to a bottle on
the engine stand that keeps the system pressurized to avoid damaging the
valve train when rotating the crank. How do I know this? my kid bought me a
book titled "Ferrari Formula 1, under the skin of the championship winning
F1-2000" lots of lovely pictures and cut away renderings with descriptions
of all the systems. The engine has seven oil scavenge pump stages, variable
length air horns and the transmission case is made from twenty-four CNC
machined titanium parts welded together in an inert gas chamber. These
things are unbelievable.
Jim in Palmdale