[Land-speed] Book donation

Jon Wennerberg jonwennerberg at nancyandjon.org
Mon Mar 31 13:20:31 MST 2008

Just for the heck of it I bought another copy of Rocky Robinson's
book "Flat Out".  He's the guy that rides the Ack Attack streamliner
bike, and the book is a great way to spend a couple of evenings
reading.  Anyway, I emailed Rocky and asked if he'd autograph the
book so I could donate it to our local library.  He did -- a nice
note saying the book was for the folks at the Peter White Public
Library" and that Nancy and I had donated it, and so on.  Today I
took it over to the library and gave it to them.

Gee-zul-man, you'd think I had given them a handful of gold or
something.  They thanked me about a dozen times, asked for my mailing
address so they could write an official letter thanking us, said
they'd be putting a "nameplate" on the inside of the book telling
everyone who donated it, and so on.  They were tickled pink to have a
signed copy of a book for their collection.  When I mentioned that
they could put it in the stacks along with the "Bonneville Wide Open"
DVD that I gave them a year ago -- well, again, they were very happy
to know that they already had some Bonneville stuff.

So -- if you've got the inclination, think about doing the same thing
-- buy a copy of the book from Rocky, ask him to sign it for your
library, and then donate it.  That's one way to let the local folks
learn something about this sport/affliction of ours.

I might even see if Land Speed Louise still has copies of her book --
a photo book would be another fine donation to the library.  And
then, when people around here ask for more information about land
speed racing -- I know that they can find stuff in the library.

Jon , tall guy with moustache
and two 200 MPH Club hats