[Land-speed] Landracing.com forum

Ed Weldon 23.weldon at comcast.net
Sat Mar 15 22:19:35 MST 2008

Tom--
You're right on a lot of counts.  Jon's forum was a real service to us as a
place to expand topics of interest..  Maybe we should be there to help a bit
more than just sending a few bucks from time to time.  I don't really think
the best answer here is starting a separate new forum.
I just had a long talk with Sandy, my wife, about internet forums she
participates in (mostly computer art and crafts) and what she thought of our
situation.  We both agree on the need for and the effort involved in effective
moderation of these forums.  Effective moderation has to strike a balance
between too soft and too hard.  I submit that this is not easy for a
businessman doing it himself.
Sure we all should be able to act like grownups.  But sometimes, especially
after a few beers, we get out of line.  Sandy observed that problems on her
forums came up more frequently on weekends at just the time that active
moderators were somewhere else and maybe the people posting were, shall we
say, just a bit loose.  She also mentioned that a certain amount of
selectivity for forum membership was not a bad thing.
Personally I'd like to see Jon restart the forum with some new rules and some
dedicated helpers as moderators.  That way he can drop out of the day to day
management of the forum and act mainly in a behind the scenes lead role.  I
think being a forum moderator requires a time commitment and a willingness to
spend some of one's own political capital.  And I think there are some of us
that would be willing.
Jon-- You got your ears on?  I think a call for help would be a good thing.
Ed Weldon