[Land-speed] Streamliner Aerodynamics

Dan Wright dwright at genetics.utah.edu
Tue Mar 11 11:58:54 MST 2008

David
You ask good questions.  I'm not sure I have any answers, but I do have some
thoughts.  Raising a liner exposes a lot of tire that is hidden inside the
body when the car is low.  That probably adds significant frontal area.
On my liner (and I think most) the underside is not as aero clean as the top
side due to wheel cutouts and in my case exhaust openings.  By minimizing the
air under the car, interaction with this aero dirty area is a little less.

On my car I try for no lift and very little down force.  Aero Neutrality I
guess.  I monitor my ride height front and rear to observe lift/downforce.  I
would much rather have a little down force than a little lift.  I fear that a
little lift can become a lot of lift with only a modest increase in speed.

I also worry about the stability at speed issues you describe.

While it is not specifically about Bonneville Streamliners, I found this book
to be both readable and informative.
Race Car Aerodynamics: Designing for Speed
By Joseph Katz (ISBN 0837601428)

Seems sad to be referred to other discussion groups when you ask such high
quality Bonneville Specific questions.
But I guess this list isn't what it once was.

Dan Wright

Liner #667

When you sit with a nice girl for two hours it seems like two minutes.

When you sit on a hot stove for two minutes it seems like two hours.

Thats Relativity.

Albert Einstein