[Land-speed] Streamliner Aerodynamics

David Dymaxion david_dymaxion at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 10 11:30:44 MST 2008

On another list we are having a debate about aerodynamics. The fastest solar racers and electrathon racers are finding having the bottom of the car high off the ground (around 8 inches) seems to be giving them better aerodynamics -- but on the flip side their speeds are so much lower they don't have to worry as much about being aerodynamically stable. So here are my questions:

Do streamliners generate aerodynamic downforce?

Are they low for better stability, or less aero drag, or perhaps both?

Is there a good book or web page on streamliner aerodynamics?

Thanks for the info.