[Land-speed] Alternator Question

ifixmgs at cox.net ifixmgs at cox.net
Sat Jun 28 05:43:31 MDT 2008

Newer  Beemer  8s and 12s ( which are also used in a lot of one-off exotic apps) use a  continuous 150 amp unit  and can be fitted with an optional 300 amper -  both  without cooling fans. Supposedly stay silent even when everything is turned on at one time.  It's  designed like a waterpump -  the stator is mounted in a hole in the engine block  and the rotor is  removable.  Being surrounded by the engine supposedly  reduces  stereo and ignition brain box interference.   A lot of the newer alternators (watercooled and even  "traditional" fan and belt units) are apparently  no longer using carbon  brushes -  so as long as the coolant hose on the LC version doesn't break, it should last forever.....   Seville and Deville are also using watercooled alts.

Heres an interesting tech article on the subject     http://www.iskra-ae.com/slo/docs/alternators_liquid_cooled.pdf

I'm the resident  gearhead at  a company that underwrites coverage for  high end and exotics,  and have to stay  up to speed on all the latest stuff, so thanks for the heads-up.