[Land-speed] fuel and such

Elon saltfever at comcast.net
Thu Jul 31 20:21:32 MDT 2008

GM published an SAE paper last spring about a newly revised 4.7 liter
Duramax diesel for 2010. It will be available in light trucks and some
premium cars. Additionally, a small, 2.7 liter diesel is destined for the
European market. All the manufacturers (BMW, Honda, Chrysler, etc) have
small, clean (meeting 2010 emission requirements) slated for 010. My 6,300
lb Duramax easily gets 20MPG. And if I painfully drive various speed limits
it gets 21 mpg. Folks, that is a 6,400 lb vehicle with trailer towing
mirrors! Those mirrors alone must cost me 2 mpg in drag!  So if you put a
small, clean, 2010 diesel, in a low drag, light weight body (as Dave and Ed
suggested) then gear it 2.0:1 overall; tell me you won't get phenomenal
mileage. Don't react to the 2.0:1 gear. Torque is the name of the game in
diesels and fuel efficiency. Friction comes with horsepower. It will never
be as efficient as a lower rpm torque motor.

BTW, these designs have been on the drawing boards for 3 or more years. Just
because the public is unaware of corporate stealth doesn't make the
manufacturers Neanderthal engineers. Improved technology may be a solution
to a problem but it comes at a price. It can't be utilized until wallets
open up and that trade is now occurring.  -Elon