[Land-speed] Tires,Mileage,etc/non LSR ?

Ed Van Scoy ed at vetteracing.com
Mon Jul 21 14:11:14 MDT 2008

The article was a good read Tom, thanks for passing iton. I am not an engineer
(or rocket scientist.... heck, I didn't evenstay at a Holiday Inn last night)
and it was written at a level thateven I could understand ;-) I didn't
understand the author'sdefinition of "normal gearing" however, as my vehicles
are geared allover the board, from my tow vehicle to the Corvette, which was
designedas a high-speed touring car. Likewise, I have numerous
transmissions(both automatic and manual) , some including overdrives, and some
witha 1:1 final drive ratio. My personal experience is thatperformance and
mileage are all over the board (as I would expect). Ithink "normal" is a poor
choice of words as vehicle application variesgreatly. No argument about
judicious use of the throttle..... Mydiesel tow vehicle gets several MPG
better mileage at 65 than 75....and 60 is even better if I could stand to go
that slow. I have no doubtthat on a level surface, 55 mph would yield better
mileage, especiallygiven the load I am pulling . I didn't understand the
author'sassertion that diesels do not hqve a throttle... unless he is usingit
in a different context than I - as a means of regulatingengine speed. As for
gages... my truck's "averageMPG" gage reads the opposite than slim's.... It is
very pessimistic,and I find i actually get better mileage. However, the
"gallons used"gage is very accurate. With an 84 gallon capacity, I find it is
usuallyoff less than a gallon at fillup.
Ed