[Land-speed] Tires,Mileage,etc/non LSR ?

Tom Bryant saltracer at awwwsome.com
Mon Jul 21 10:31:34 MDT 2008

Ed,

I don't doubt that what you say is correct. There are always exceptions. I
don't claim to be a "Rocket Scientist",  I was referring to a July 2007
article from  Motors Magazine by Mike Dale, "Meddle With the Pedal:
Electronic Throttle Control." This article was part of recent Instructor
Training that I attended for the CA Smog Program.

Quote.."Given normal gearing, the peak efficiency point for a vehicle turns
out to be around 55 mph. The double-nickel speed limit was not chosen
randomly, but rather with an eye to best results for fuel economy for the
average vehicle. For a given distance traveled, fuel economy tapers off at
both higher and lower speeds. Holding a constant speed is an advantage, as
it avoids both the extra fuel needed for acceleration and the increased
emissions that often result from deceleration.

Not surprisingly, the sweet spot of engine efficiency is also the sweet spot
for emissions output."....This is a very interesting article that can be
found on line by going to http://www.motor.com/article.asp?article_ID=1179

Tom, Redding CA - #216 D/FCC

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of faint_grain.jpg]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of cat_side_en.gif]