[Land-speed] Rear end efficiency

John Staiger lsrvette at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 23 09:58:05 MST 2008

Doug,

I talked to Winters, Tiger and Frankland about your very question this past December at the PRI show.  As I'm in the market for a QC I had similar interests/concerns.  Discounting Frankland (no help whatsoever), both Winters and Tiger provided consistent data that I have paraphrased from memory below:

The loss from a 9" Ford, Dayna R&P, Spool, Mobil 1, standard test conditions was ~ 10 - 16 hp depending on ratio.
The loss from a "standard roller bearing" QC, Dayna R&P, Spool, Mobil 1, standard test conditions was ~ 6 hp more. (same as info below).
The loss from a "angular ball bearing" QC with RIM polished R&P was nominally the same as the 9" Ford.

Hence the low drag bearings and RIM processes reduce drag on average about 6 - 8 hp (as tested).  Tiger makes a very big deal out of this feature by selling their QC with all the low drag bearings, polishing, etc standard.  Winters offers the same setup, however you have to order the "options".  The short version -- the QC has more efficient R&P than the 9" or 12", however it is handicapped by the extra straight cut QC gears.

If my memory servers me, Tiger has a paper or some type of analysis on their website... it might help... then again... it might not...

John
569