[Land-speed] Sorta On Topic...Leaf Blower...

joseph lance jolylance at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 17 21:32:00 MST 2008

Ed;

You're absolutely right---you always need to carry the units and do rough
order of magnitude checks.

I think the useful life of analytical design methods is about thirty years
tops, by then the built in limiting assumptions are forgotten and exceeded
and even new things break or explode*. Now the units and assumptions are
buried in the design software and are invisible. We lost a $150M Martian
spacecraft because of a unit conversion mistake--what's next ?

But it's still nice to see a pretty girl laugh.

Lance

* If an EXplosion sounds like BOOM!!, does an IMplosion sound like MOOB!! ?
(sorry about that, it's getting very late for me)