[Land-speed] Engine Placement

Mike Lackey mike_lackey at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 12 22:52:24 MST 2008

So, I've tried setting my engine in place to get an idea of where I want to put it.  As a reminder, this is an '86 Toyota Corolla that's getting a Yamaha R1 engine to race as an I/GC (Note: this means I've got a significant loss of weight over the front wheels already).

I can either put the engine forward and low in the car, or close to the firewall and up a couple inches.  Putting it near the back would require a hood scoop, while the forward position might not need one.  I've got some ideas on which I'd prefer, but as I'm new at land speed racing, I wanted to get a second opinion.  Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike