[Land-speed] Hood Scoops and Working on Race Cars

Dick J lsr_man at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 6 16:59:38 MST 2008

Are Mayf and I the only ones working on our cars in the off-season?  Nobody is saying much this year.  I changed from a 4150 Holley to a Quickfuel Dominator and had no idea it would domino so many changes.  After making new linkage and routing new fuel lines, I find that I have to change the hood scoop.  Since I will no longer have the luxury of a built-in air pan on the carburetor that the Trans Am shaker provided, I've spent the last week cutting pieces of aluminum and riveting them together to make what amounts to an oversize paint roller pan with a hole in the middle.

  So that brings a question to mind.  I've settled on using a Pro-Stock aero scoop with enough height to put the top of the scoop ten inches above the mouth of the carburetor.  So, why do LSR racers tend to put the scoop openings facing rear on door slammers? I understand that there's a big low pressure area behind the scoop and in front of the windshield, but what's so great about that.  Why not take advantage of the high pressure built up in the scoop by facing it forward?  Two hundred MPH formula one cars face forward.  Drag boats face forward.  Off-shore racers face forward.  Three hundred MPH drag cars face forward.  But, LSR cars face them backwards?  What's up here?

  DickJ
  In East Texas